Saturday, February 14, 2015

Bizarre Tales: The True Story of What it is and How it Came to Be

A Matt Fox painting from 1949 on the cover!
Bizarre Tales is done. 20 pages, full-bleed color cover. ONLY available in the February Mythoard.

Here's how it happened: I emailed Jarrod Shaw, Mythoard-master, after seeing the first beta shipment from December, asking if he was interested in having something from Moon Dice Games in a future Mythoard. He was willing to buy copies of the most recent Crawljammer issue and add them to the stack o' goodness for January or February. I didn't think that was good enough, honestly. I think Crawljammer is excellent, obviously, but I didn't think it was good enough for the Mythoard crowd because many of the subscribers of Mythoard, from what I have seen posted, already subscribe to Crawljammer. I thought it would be disappointing to include something most folks would already have or would be getting soon (sorry about the delayed shipment on Crawljammer #6, everyone!).

I proposed doing something original, exclusive to Mythoard.

Because here's the thing: I want Mythoard to become a huge thing. I personally want to get an amazing pile of gaming supplies and book and ideas every month, but I also want Jarrod and his family to become so busy shipping out Mythoard boxes that they have to hire an army of minions to meet the demands of tens of thousands of subscribers. And that's not going to happen if the Mythoard packages are filled with leftovers. Jarrod has bigger plans. Aspirations to put something out into the world that's special.
The Wanderer brings mystery, and Bounty Hunters follow.

I know Bizarre Tales isn't going to change anything on its own, but I think it turned out well. It's one of the most challenging things I've written, following from the setting established in Tim Shorts's beta exclusive and packing a weird town and about a dozen new creatures and various distinctive NPCs and two scenarios into 20 pages. With awesome art by Matt Hildebrand. I would buy it. And it's only available in print in the Mythoard February package.

Matt and I made it for Mythoard. And for you. Subscribe now, before they are gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment